Both of the vegetables in this recipe might surprise you. But they work together. And everyone is eating Brussels sprouts right now. And kale. And chia seeds. And goji berries. Am I right or am I right? Anyway, I was really into shaved vegetables for a long period of my life. On second thought, I suppose I still am...But I'm going to cut to the chase. I know many of you (maybe with the exception of my mum) are not here for the back story. So I'll spare you the details of this one...
Brussels Sprout and Cauliflower Salad with Toasted Hazelnuts and Feta Cheese
Ingredients for 4 servings:
1 head cauliflower, florets removed from stalk, washed and dried
1 pound Brussels sprouts, washed, dried, stems and outer leaves removed
2 lemons, juiced
1/4C olive oil
1/2C crumbled feta cheese or shaved Parmesan cheese
1/4C crushed hazelnuts, toasted
Salt + pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes, optional
1. Cut large pieces of cauliflower and Brussels sprouts to make it easier to shred
2. With the shredding attachment on your food processor, shred the cauliflower and Brussels sprouts, set aside
3. Whisk lemon juice and olive oil until emulsified, season to taste with salt and pepper
4. In a heavy-bottomed skillet, toast the hazelnuts over low heat until just fragrant (watch to be sure they don't burn)
5. In a large bowl, mix cauliflower and Brussels sprouts with vinaigrette
6. Add hazelnuts and cheese, toss to combine
7. Serve immediately or refrigerate
*If you don't plan to serve immediately, add the hazelnuts and cheese when you are ready to do so. Feel free to dress it and let it sit in the fridge until you are ready to serve. The shredded vegetables are hearty, and should be able to stand up to the acidity of the vinaigrette, just fine.
I went through a phase of eating a version of this salad daily. I couldn't stop! It hit the spot time and time again.
I'm curious: What are your favorite vegetables to eat raw? If you make this salad, or a version of it, I'd love to hear about it! Hope you enjoy...